For mushroom picking, we recommend the use of our curved knife. First, turn the mushroom itself to separate it from its mycelium (filaments): it is better not to use the knife to cut the mushroom at its base, as part of the mushroom you leave on site will rot and this decomposition may involve the mycelium as well. Do not tear the mushroom, the mycelium could come together. It is essential to protect the mycelium by covering it with earth, mosses or dry leaves for it has to continue to live in order to produce mushrooms again the following years.
What is then the use of a specific mushroom knife, you ask? Well, it helps to clean the mushrooms on the field, right after its crop: use the curved blade to cut the earthy part of the base, the damaged parts and the spores parts, especially for porcini when it is already old. Leave the spores on site, this will be useful for the propagation of the species. The reverse corrugated part of the blade enables you to remove any deposits of earth and stones without removing the full part. Finally the folding brush will clean the mushroom cap without damaging it, to remove twigs, needles and other plant debris stuck on it.
The knife has a ring to be hooked to a key ring and it comes in a cloth pouch, which can be passed to the belt (presence of a passerby on the back).
What differentiates the curved knife from the standard model:
- The shape of the curved handle allows for a more effective grip,
- Brush folds under the handle, which allows to protect it when you store your knife in your pocket without the protective pouch.
Discover our other mushroom products:
- Dried mushrooms and dried powdered mushrooms,
- Pickled mushrooms,
- Mushrooms and truffles in brine,
- Condiments and culinary preparations (salts, oils, vinegars, mustards, butter, sauce base, creams, spreads, pesto, honey, liquor),
- Quick preparations (soups, sauces, pasta, rice, savory cake, meat terrines).
And let yourself be surprised by our selection of nice objects:
- Books (mushroom identification guide, cooking mushrooms, beautiful mushroom pictures),
- Stuffed mushroom toys,
- Carved wooden mushrooms,
- And humorous ceramic mushroom figurines (mushrooms in love).